Tuesday, October 20, 2009

St. James Cathedral Bell

St. James Catholic Church is a historical building that I pass each time I go to the downtown Post Office. It has iron fencing around the three sides of the church and partial fencing on the side of the main entrance. Recently, I was looking at some flowers that were still blooming in front of the fence next to the sidewalk but my eyes wandered through the fence and I saw this bell!

Now that is too beautiful a bell to be satisfied with that photo so today, I investigated and sure enough I could walk up the steps to the rectory and along a sidewalk where visitors are directed to use the patio door for the rectory. I stopped short of knocking on the door and asking the priest for permission to photograph it. I just did it!!!!!!

As you can read, this is the original bell of the church. . . CLICK on photo to enlarge to read about it. THEN, I walked around the bell and took a photo from each side that was available. Sometimes it pays to be nosy. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.


6 comments:

Malyss said...

The idea to keep the original is simply beautyful; And the trees behind have such wonderful colors!
I don't understand very well who are the two people whose names are written: are they the ones who decided to keep the bell, who helped to pay for that, or were they special for the church, or is it a sign for memory?..
A very beautyful post anyway, I like the mood of it .

E said...

Glad you took the photos in the fall. Beautiful background.

cieldequimper said...

Ah those are lovely! I wonder what it sounds like, I love bells! The cathedral is pretty impressive, but then again, it's Catholic.

Katney said...

We found a similar bell at a little church in Federal Way. It was set in a similar setting and had been the original bell from the Church at Dash Point.

Martha Z said...

A nice old bell, worth tip-toeing onto the grounds to photograph.

Anonymous said...

U love the bell and the church!

About Me

My photo
WELCOME to my blog. I hope you will return often.

I am on my third digital camera, all Olympus. I enjoy using it and sharing my photos. I also enjoy writing. I hope to share a little of each on this blog. My main blog is Postcards From the Northwest.

Kerri and I will continue to add benches to "For the Love of Benches Continued . . . " blog also. It is good to continue to share with her!

Continuation of the Kiggins House Re-model photos were lost when my computer crashed.

The latest city project, TURTLE PLACE, will unfold here as I have time to add photos. It is complete and maybe I can find enough photos someday to show you the final results. Next project after the two I am working on now. . .


Blog Your Blessings Sunday